Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Interviews -- Kat Chapman

Kat's interview is embedded Below:


Some observations of Kat:
  • Speaks with confident, certain language. Many statements have a tone of finality.
  • Shifts easily into being pointed and judgmental. Has some barbed commentary for various people or groups of people that she dislikes ("In ten years the same stupid hippies complaining about the water quality will be complaining about the plastic bottles"). As Kat correctly pointed out to me, she does not particularly single out groups -- this observation is intended to identify Kat's ease in railing against people or things.
  • Describes issue with needing greater intimacy and authenticity in relationships ("How many times has somebody committed suicide and you didn't even know they were sad?")
  • Describes masking herself, difficulty with being vulnerable to people.
  • Describes repeatedly that other people are largely a mystery. "I didn't realize that you could look at the inside of people for some time in my life."
  • Describes on several occasions the discrepancy between being seen as confident by others, but seeing herself as unconfident. Sees herself as "meticulous and slow." Dislikes uncertainty, crisis management, etc., but is seen as very good at this by others.
  • Duty-oriented "put my kids first if they are sick", etc. Dedicated and aware of and often railing against worldly interactants. Does not detach from or worldly circumstances.
  • "If someone doesn't have a good relationship with me, I can't be around them at all. I can't ignore it or pretend. [...] It took me a long time to realize that I can't be around people that don't like me."
  • "Who the hell needs proof, can't ya see it, it's just so obvious"
  • Language using analogy and motion "society ebbs and flows; all about balance."
  • "Always teacher's pet." 
  • Preference for linearity and lack of ambiguity. Would prefer "if life were like a linear platform game where you get the little star and then move on to the next level." Has a job "ticking boxes" which provides clarity and structure.
  • Displays a complete Northern US vowel shift. Most prominent dialectal feature is extreme raising and palatalization of /æ/ following nasals e.g. /mʲe̝əɾɚ/, characteristic of West New York.
At first, I thought from these observations that Kat was ESI. Most of the observations and language Kat uses fits very nicely with this type. She comes across as very confident, organized and dutiful, and especially individualistic and focused on her relationships with close family members.

The interviewer's suggestion of ILI by contrast, I thought, seemed reasonable and close to ESI. However the interviewer also seems to make some leading observations and ask leading questions about Kat's intellect. A typing of ESI explains the intellect, and the Ni-oriented language "Nature ebbs and flows" as Ni mobilizing, while also accounting for Kat's confidence, dislike of ambiguity, and vigilant demeanor that is present in nearly every one of the observations above. By contrast, Kat seems entirely to lack the detachment, apathy, and passivity of Ni dominant types (especially ILIs).


I was content with a typing of ESI but a week or two later I noticed some comments from Kat which, for reasons I wouldn't be able to explain, caused me to come back to this video and rethink the perspective of some of Kat's comments. I realized there were various clues favoring a nearby but different type.

I now think Kat is likely LSI, with clear Se values, Ni mobilizing, and also Fe suggestive. The most prominent observation of which I was reminded was the degree to which Kat mentions not understanding people, and especially not understanding until late in life what is inside them. Yet she seems to have made it a major goal of hers to further her understanding of others in this way. A very subtle distinction can be seen in the way that rather than emphasizing her sentiments towards the people around her specifically, Kat emphasizes a) her *duties/obligations* towards the people around her and b) the need for authenticity and purity in her close relations. I can see this emphasis as like the suggestive Fe of LSIs, although I can understand why anyone who sees Kat as ESI would disagree.


The other main observation is that Kat's description of herself -- as "not knowing what is inside herself" and describing the discrepancy between how others see her as a confident, reliable person whereas she sees herself as hectically disorganized and uncertain -- is something I am able to see among LSIs, especially older LSIs with developed Fe. Another person who has this set of characteristics is this lady. The common theme with Kat is "Pretty much what people see is what they get... except A B and C." In Kat's there is a similar sense of directness, with a concomitant discrepancy between Kat's inner world and external brittleness.

There are various other small hints in the language surrounding Ti values and an orientation towards rule structures, including Kat's descriptions of how she was always the "square" in the school yet ended up socializing with "the drunks," and the somewhat iconic quote "Who needs proof, can't ya see it?"

Again, a typing of ESI would be very reasonable here and you could argue that in many ways the ESI has a similar dynamic to the small hints I have pointed out. Arguing convincingly against ESI is probably not something I can do. But I think ESIs with Fi+Ni are a little less uncertain about what goes on in their inner worlds and would less easily make statements like "I did not realize for a long time that you could see the inside of people."

7 comments:

  1. I think ILI with good Te and D in DCNH :)

    Not all ILIs must be entirely passive 100% of the time. Especially not the D types

    Fi valuing but at the same time 1D Fe

    "Language using analogy and motion "society ebbs and flows; all about balance."'

    This isn't Ni HA, this is much stronger Ni I've heard ILI talk like this before :)

    And I know ILI's just like her! They do look like LSI going by analysis like yours but you only need to dig into their minds a little bit to see they are really 1D Se-seeking. And I recognize the Fi valuing, the way she bitches is like these ILIs I know :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi mysoci

    You've given no observation. You've only even noted one thing about her behavior, the quote about balance.

    So, I assume that you agree with all of my observations, about what Kat is.

    Then, we disagree about the interpretation of these observations, I think she is clearly one type (and also from my personal interactions otherwise) and you see a different type. Okay. This may mean we see socionics very differently, or at least we see very differently the types in this range, the Se valuing introverts. I suspect both are probably true but I don't know who you are.

    That is the extent of the meaningful conversation that could possibly be made from what you have said so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, yeah I heard before that LSI and ILI can be confused for each other so maybe it's not as surprising that we disagree here.

      I think Se suggestive of ILIs is nothing like the Se creative of LSIs. But you do have to look closer to see the difference... I suggest you do that. :)

      I want to add, might be N sub too, in DCNH, not sure. But I still think ILI over LSI or ESI.

      PS: I don't know why you mention that you don't know who I am.. I don't think we know each other.

      Delete
    2. Hi mysoci,

      I do thank you for commenting but again I'd like to call your attention again to the fact that you have not pointed out any observation of Kat to lead you to your conclusion, other than the one quote about balance.

      So, to reiterate, there is no meaningful basis to discuss our differing interpretations.

      Also, there is something else I want to say: I have continued to interact and observe Kat's behavior in the community, which in my opinion provides stronger (but less accessible) evidence for what sort of person Kat is, even I think though we can see the same from this video. Indeed, it is observing Kat's behavior in the community that makes me feel confidently about this typing; before seeing how she interacts with people, I thought ESI rather than LSI. Now, after the fact, my confidence that my typing of Kat as LSI, is extremely strong. It is among the most strong typings I have ever made of anyone in the community. I prefer for this blog to be self-contained -- that is, you can watch the videos and get a good sense of what I mean without doing a lot of independent research / stalking. So for that reason, and also for personal reasons, what I want to say clearly is this: I decline to discuss many of those observations that really contribute to the confidence of my typing of Kat in public, but not necessarily in private or semi-private settings.

      Delete
    3. I understood your viewpoint before and I still say the same about observing Se as cognitive information processing in LSI vs ILI. I believe that's an important issue that gets neglected by some people. That was my main point.

      I don't know what else you saw about Kat in that community so I have no more to add on this point.

      Beyond that, if you didn't notice, I did list more points than just that one observation about balance. I don't know why you keep saying that that was the only thing I pointed out. And I disagree that this automatically means that we can't discuss the topic.

      Anyway I'm not gonna repeat my stuff again and you don't need to either.

      Delete
    4. I am only commenting about typing methods at this point:

      When I type someone on this blog, I go to great effort to point out what are the observations I made of that person to draw that conclusion. In a very real sense, the conclusion is secondary to the observation.

      What you have not done is explain what observations you made, in order to draw the conclusion that Kat is the LSI. You described the "balance" comments as I noted. And to be fair there is one other descriptive word, you said she "bitches." But otherwise you have not described in a clear chain of reasoning *why* you actually think these things of Kat. And you don't seem to have understood that.

      I welcome your feedback, but saying "she is not LSI, because look at the difference between Se in ILIs and LSIs", or "I know ILIs like her", or "I recognize the Fi values" is not at all helpful because they are totally subjective, system conclusions that do not attempt to bridge the differences in understanding at all. For instance I agree that ILIs and LSIs types express Se differently (although fairly similarly). It is not helpful precisely because I don't know *why* you have come to such a conclusion; obviously I have made many observations and come to a different conclusion.

      Presently there is very little I can say in response to your comments other than "I disagree." But perhaps if you could explain more, then either I would change my mind, or you would change your mind, or we would be able to clearly say something about the differences in the way we see socionics and what types of things we are looking for.

      I say this primarily for your benefit as a socionist and thinker, and not necessarily to springboard a broader discussion about Kat.

      Delete
  3. Hi sorry I wasn't aware you replied. I found it accidentally. I understand your issue and I wouldn't mind discussing the ILI vs LSI differences in terms of how they express Se. What's your experience in terms of that? I'm open to hearing about your descriptions on that :) (Not necessarily about Kat, more general observations are fine)

    ReplyDelete